Let me Introduce Myself…
My name is Shirley-Ann, I’m married to the most perfect-for-me man in the world and we have two daughters whom we have homeschooled from the beginning. We originate from Cape Town, South Africa but have lived in various parts of the world due to my husbands job. We immigrated to the UK 8 years ago and officially became British citizens in 2017.
I am blessed to have grown up in a Christian home as did my husband, both of us have parents who, although not perfect (who of us is?), were faithful in living their lives for the Lord and in raising their children to love and fear the Lord. Both our fathers have passed away and we take joy in the peace that comes with knowing that they are with the Lord and we will see them again one day.
Becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman
When my husband and I got married and started our family, we knew that we wanted our own home to be Christ-centred. That meant putting Him at the centre of our marriage, our home, our parenting, our finances and our (well, my) homekeeping. My inspiration was the Proverbs 31 woman.
I don’t believe that the Proverbs 31 woman was perfect, nor do I think that she honestly managed to squeeze all of that busyness into one day. Rather, she displays virtues to strive for over a lifetime. And so that is what I have done through the years.
Daily I strive to be the Proverbs 31 woman. I strive to be my husbands help-meet. I strive to run a frugal and orderly yet warm and welcoming home, a refuge for my family. I am purposeful in creating family traditions that will strengthen our family ties and strive to raise our children in ‘the way that they should go’.
Our Homeschooling Journey
12 years ago, the Lord called us to homeschool our daughters, it was a natural progression for us and it has been a blessing beyond compare. We are reaching the end of our homeschooling years now and I have the privilege of being able to look back on those years and see and know that God is good and faithful. We have two lovely, well-adjusted young woman who love the Lord and about to enter the next exciting stage of study at their respective universities.
American SAT’s in the UK!
“Whaaaaaat?” I hear my British counter-parts exclaiming.Yes! It is possible to home educate your children all the way through to the A-level equivalent using the American SAT system and get into British universities. We’ve done it and there are a growing number of British home educators that have done it with great success. There will be a series of posts coming soon that will offer up lots of clarification and advice for this route so do check out my Homeschooling tab for that.
Writing for Homeschooling Publications…
Having kept a personal blog throughout the years of our homeschooling adventures has connected me with many wonderful homeschoolers across the globe and afforded me the opportunity to write for Barb’s Outdoor Hour Challenge newsletter for many years and become a contributing author for the popular ‘Curriculum Choice’ website for which I still write. You can read all my curriculum reviews here.
So What Will I Find Here?
Great question! I’m glad you asked.
- Jesus is the centre of our lives and of our home. All that I am is because of Him. Yes, I’m a born-again Christian so you will find posts on our faith-filled days and pondering on the scriptures and on their application to our daily living and parenting.
- Because of the calling Jesus placed on my life to be the woman, wife and mother that He called me to be, homemaking thus goes to the heart of this blog. I’m all about making my home a Jesus-centred, cosy, happy, peaceful place for my family and those who visit.
- I hope to encourage you in your high calling as a wife, mother and keeper of the home so you will find lots of tips and hints on how to run an organised and frugal home. Afterall, we are to be good stewards of the resources God has entrusted to us. Menu planning, scheduling, cleaning, cooking…it’s all happening here.
- Being a stay-at-home-mum means that we are a single income family. Out of necessity I became an expert in home budgeting and making the most of our financial resources so you will find lots of tips relating to money sense here.
- When your hearts desire is to stay at home with your little ones, you are motivated to find some sort of work-from-home opportunity in order to make it possible. I’ve turned my love of yarn into a successful little Etsy business which has brought in that little bit extra. You will find posts with tips and encouragement on building up a small business.
- You will find posts on homeschooling because the Lord called us to teach our children at home 12 years ago. Both have now graduated but I have years of experience and insights to share, particularly using the Charlotte Mason method; book & curriculum reviews and recommendations; of course info on the American SAT route; and how to balance homeschooling and home.
- Finally, I’m gonna be real with you. So often home/family/homeschooling blogs only post the good and leave out the bad and the ugly which let’s be honest, kinda make us feel that we are failing on a spectacular scale. Lovelies, the truth of the matter is that even the most ‘collected’ of mums who are trying to balance home and raising small children, whether she homeschools or not, has the ‘bad and the ugly’. Even if they refuse to admit it. Don’t be discouraged and give up the calling God has on your life and on the lives of your children. You CAN do this!
I can’t tell you how glad I am that you are here. Grab a cuppa and join me for a little chat for a while.